Customer Bill of Rights

Utility Bills Across Indiana Just Keeping Going Up and Up

That's largely because legislation passed by the Indiana General Assembly in the last few decades has drastically weakened our ability to control our energy costs and to be energy independent. Indiana's average residential monthly electric bill is higher than any of the surrounding states and the entire country.



The Utility Complaint Process is Arduous

CAC organizers are hearing more and more complaints from utility customers across Indiana about long customer service wait times and poor customer service, unaffordable utility bills, and extremely high utility deposits. In these cases, the best course of action is for the customer to file a complaint with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission, but their complaint process is ridiculously cumbersome and unclear, so it is difficult for customers to communicate with those who can do something about their frustrations.


The Regulatory Process Only Works for the Utilities

That's because legislation passed by the Indiana General Assembly in the last few decades gives regulators little choice - many of the laws use "shall" clauses instead of "may" clauses - basically saying that the IURC shall approve the increases the utilities ask for.


These laws result in residential customers not being considered in the process. The IURC is supposed to balance the interests of the utilities and the customers, but the Indiana General Assembly has tipped the scales so far in favor of the utilities that this is no longer possible.


Click here for more detailed information about what a Customer Bill of Rights should look like in Indiana.

Campaign Tools

Take Action! 

You can file a specific complaint with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission one of two ways:

  • Go to the IURC Online Services Portal and click "Login via Access Indiana." On the next page, click "Don't have an Access Indiana account?" to create an account. Once you've created the account, you will be redirected to the IURC complaint form.
  • Contact the IURC Consumer Affairs Division at 1-800-851-4268 or 317-232-2712, and ask them for an invitation code to file a complaint. Once you have that code, you can login to file your complaint at the IURC Online Services Portal by redeeming your invitation code.


If your frustrations are more general, use this form to email your Indiana state legislators and the Office of Utility Consumer Counselor:





Help us fight for a Customer Bill of Rights!

Current Campaigns

These are the issues of immediate importance we are working on right now.