Search form

FAQ | Contact | (317) 205-3535

Latest News

IPL customers pay for electric service, not electric car-share service.


VICTORY in the BlueIndy electric car share program fight!

On February 11, 2015, The Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) denied the request by IPL and the City of Indianapolis for a $12.3 million subsidy to pay for the installation of the charging stations and kiosks as part of the BlueIndy project to be owned and managed by a privately owned French company, Bolloré. Citizens Action Coalition was the only party to the case that opposed the settlement and requested that the IURC deny the request.  

In the final order the IURC stated:

"There can be little argument that the request to recover the Installation Costs is anything other than a request to have IPL's customers pay a portion of the start-up costs for a private business enterprise."

Additionally, the IURC noted the significant number of comments they received from the public regarding this first of kind request: 

"We received extensive written and oral public comments from IPL customers who had no interest in the Blue Indy Project. They testified that they would not use the program, could not afford to participate in the program, or would not qualify to participate because of the lack of a credit card. These customers questioned why they should be required to pay for the Blue Indy Project, and we give substantial weight to those concerns."

Thanks to all who took the time to contact the IURC!!!  Your voices mattered and had a significant impact on the IURC.  Keep it coming!!! Onward! 


Speak out now! Stop IPL from raising your electric rates to fund electric cars!

Since IPL's last rate case, the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) has given IPL permission to raise your rates by almost $2 billion: 

  • December 2011: $615.4 million for pollution control equipment on IPL’s aging coal-fired power plants 

  • August 2013: $510 million for more pollution control equipment on more of IPL’s aging coal-fired power plants 

  • May 2014: $667 million for a new natural gas-fired power plant in Martinsville 

Now, IPL wants you to pay another $16 million for Indianapolis’s electric car share program, BlueIndy (IURC Cause Number 44478).

It is NOT the responsibility of captive utility ratepayers to pay for electric cars!

Ratepayers pay for utility service, nothing more, and nothing less. The proposed BlueIndy electric car share program comes at a cost to ratepayers, yet provides no direct benefit to ratepayers. The charging stations will add more load to the IPL system and require that more coal is burned to generate more electricity, all of which will cost ratepayers more money. 

IPL ratepayers can’t afford any more rate increases! 

  • In the last 10 years, IPL’s average monthly bills have increased nearly 44% for customers using an average of 1,000 kilowatt hours (kWh) per month. 

  • In the last 10 years, IPL’s average monthly bills have increased nearly 33% for customers using an average of 500 kWh per month. 

  • Those numbers DO NOT INCLUDE the $1.177 billion in approvals that IPL has received in the last year. 

  • Since 2005, the median annual income in Indianapolis has declined nearly 12%, or almost $7,000, while households struggle with significant increases in the cost of energy, health care, food, and other necessities. 

Who Are We Subsidizing? 

  • The Bollore Group, a French Fortune 500 company with annual revenues over $13 billion. The Bollore Group is the company contracted to build and operate the BlueIndy program. They will invest $35 million of their own money; but they are guaranteed 100% cost reimbursement for their investment, plus 85% of the profits. 

  • Eli Lilly, a Fortune 500 company with annual revenues over $4 billion, and Simon Property Group, a Fortune 500 company with annual revenues over $1 billion. Both companies are big supporters of BlueIndy because they see the program as a way to get employees and customers from one campus or shopping mall to another. Neither Eli Lilly nor Simon Property Group are putting up any money for the project, despite the fact that they can afford it. 

  • IPL’s parent company, AES Corporation, with annual net income of $511 million. IPL/AES is not investing any of its own money. If the IURC grants IPL’s request, ALL of the money that IPL/AES will invest will come straight out of OUR pockets. Once The Bollore Group’s investment is paid back and they take 85% of the profits, the other 15% will be split between the City of Indianapolis and IPL ratepayers. Also, after IPL installs the electric vehicle (EV) charging stations, it will transfer ownership of those assets to BlueIndy. That’s right: paid for by YOU, but owned by BlueIndy. 



Sign Up for CAC Action Alerts

Current Campaigns

These are the issues of immediate importance we are working on right now.