2014 Indiana General Assembly
SB340 will raise your electric rates and kill thousands of Hoosier jobs to pad the pockets of monopoly utilities.
In the 2014 Indiana General Assembly, Indiana State Legislators...
- raised your electric rates
- killed thousands of Hoosier jobs
- padded the pockets of monopoly utility companies
...by destroying Indiana energy efficiency programs with SB340.
Thank you to everybody who spoke out and contacted state legislators and the governor!
We built up a lot of momentum and showed how much support there really is for energy efficiency in Indiana. We will use that momentum going forward to work to get energy effiency programs reinstated!
Status: Became law without Gov. Pence's signature
- 01-23-14: The Senate Utilities Committee amended SB340 by a vote of 7-3, and then passed it out of committee by another vote of 7-3.
- 01-30-14: The Senate rejected Sen. Breaux's pro-consumer amendment by a vote of 11-35.
- 02-03-04: The Senate passed SB340 by a vote of 37-11.
- 02-12-14: The House Utilities and Energy Committee passed SB340 by a vote of 10-2.
- 02-25-14: Rep. Heath VanNatter (R) amended SB340 to completely dismantle Indiana's energy efficiency programs. The amendment passed by a vote of 65-31.
- 02-26-14: The House passed SB340 by a vote of 69-26.
- 03-10-14: The Senate concurred in House amendments by a vote of 37-8.
- 03-27-14: Gov. Pence allowed SB340 to become law without his signature.
Position: CAC opposes this bill
Description: CAC fought long and hard to help bring energy efficiency programs to Indiana. These programs have been running for a couple of years now, and they're working - energy efficiency is reducing the demand for electricity in our state. This reduces the need to build more power plants, which means we don't have to pay for more power plants, which keeps our electric bills from skyrocketing.
SB340 kills energy efficiency programs in Indiana. SB340 is simply bad public policy.
Please check back periodically as we will be updating this page frequently with current information.